Because we understand that selecting a school for your child is an important decision the professional staff at the Student Assignment Office is available to discuss your options and assist you through the application process.
Applications may be delivered by mail or in person to: St. Lucie Public Schools Student Assignment Office 4204 Okeechobee Road Fort Pierce, Fl 34947
Incomplete applications will be returned.
Under state law
Required Age to Start School
- Kindergarten – Your child must be 5 YEARS OLD on or before SEPTEMBER 1.
- First Grade – Your child must be 6 YEARS OLD on or before SEPTEMBER 1 and must have attended kindergarten. Note: There is no early entrance for kindergarten or first grade students.
- VPK – Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten Program: Your child must be 4 YEARS OLD on or before SEPTEMBER 1. Please call the Early Learning Coalition at 772-595-6424 for information or go to http://www.elcslc.org or register at Florida Early Learning
About School Choice
The Benefits of School Choice
- Once a student is assigned to a school he/she does not have to leave unless the family chooses to change schools or the family moves into another choice zone.
- Fair to all students, allowing them equal opportunity to select from all schools within their zone.
Student Assignment Process
How to Receive a School Assignment for Your Child
- If your child is new to St. Lucie Public Schools, you must complete an application for your child. Applications are available at the Student Assignment Office located at 4204 Okeechobee Road, Fort Pierce, at any school in the district, or on this website.
- Students who are moving from elementary to middle school within the district must complete an application for a school assignment.
- Students who move from one zone to another zone within the district must complete an application for their new school zone.
- The chances of receiving one of your top choice schools will improve by participating in the application period.
- Once the application period ends, assignments are computer generated. Each application is sorted by giving priority to siblings wanting to attend the same school, and students living within proximity areas around each school.
- Students who do not receive their first or second choice are placed on the wait list for their first choice school and are notified if a vacancy opens in their grade level. Once school begins, students must attend their assigned school in order to remain active on the wait list. The wait list is active from the date that it is completed until the end of the first nine weeks.
There is one open enrollment period for Elementary and Middle schools, which is subject to change yearly. Elementary and Middle School normally occurs in March. Students entering school or switching schools during the current year are handled on an individual basis through the Student Assignment Office.
School Assignment Application Requirements
Any parent or guardian registering students in the St. Lucie Public Schools District for the first time must bring the following documents when visiting a school or the Student Assignment Office. Assignments cannot take place without all of these documents:
- Original birth certificate
- Social Security Card (if available)
- Proof of custody (if the child is not living with both natural parents).
- Name and address of last school attended
- Copy of Individual Education Plan (IEP) if your child is in an Exceptional Education Program
You must have one of the following combinations of requirements:
- 2 Primary Proofs of Address (NAME and ADDRESS must printed on document): ♦ Electric, Water, or Land Line Telephone Bill – within 30 days ♦ Signed Lease Agreement – within 60 days ♦ Official Rent Receipt – within 30 days ♦ Current Mortgage Deed – within 60 days ♦ Mortgage Payment Coupon – within 30 days ♦ Sales/Builder’s Contract – (with Completion within 6 months)
- 1 Primary Proof of Address (NAME and ADDRESS must printed on document): ♦ Electric, Water, or Land Line Telephone Bill – within 30 days ♦ Signed Lease Agreement – within 60 days ♦ Official Rent Receipt – within 30 days ♦ Current Mortgage Deed – within 60 days ♦ Mortgage Payment Coupon – within 30 days ♦ Sales/Builder’s Contract – (with Completion within 6 months)
- AND 1 Secondary Proof of Address (NAME and ADDRESS must be printed on document): ♦ Cable Bill or Cell Phone Bill – within 30 days ♦ Driver’s License ♦ Voter’s Registration
- If living with relatives or friends: contact Student Assignment at (772) 429-3930
After the assignment process has been completed, parents must enroll their children at the assigned schools by providing the above documentation along with the following:
- Health Examination (physical) The exam must be dated within 12 months prior to enrollment. Not required for students transferring from any Florida public or private school, if the requirement has already been met.
- Florida Certificate of Immunization (original blue card). If you have moved from another state, you will need to take your current immunization record to the St. Lucie County Health Department (5150 NW Milner Dr, Port St Lucie, FL 772-462-3800), to your doctor, or to a clinic.
- Assignment postcard.
- Elementary and Middle School Flyer
- School Enrollment Brochure
- Which School Do I Attend?
- Elementary and Middle School Zone Map
- High School Zone Map
- How to Register
- Immunization Requirements
- Wait List Expiration Notice
- Attractor Programs
- Home Education
- School Choice FAQ