SLPS is preparing for distance learning by distributing laptops to families that meet the following criteria:
- The family completed the Digital Readiness Survey
- There is not at least one digital device in their home
- The student(s) are receiving free or reduced lunch at school
Families who will receive a laptop in Phase I, will be contacted on Monday, March 23rd through a School Messenger phone call with the time and location for laptop pick up.
- Families will be checked out one laptop for all students in the house to use. Parents must bring an official ID to check out the laptop.
- Do NOT show up to pick up a laptop if you are not contacted on Monday, March 23rd by a School Messenger call.
- We will be deploying 4,500 laptops on Wednesday, March 25th. Those combined with the nearly 4,000 laptops already in the hands of Port St. Lucie High School and Ft. Pierce Westwood Academy students through their 1:1 digital device initiative, represents a large percentage of families in St. Lucie Public Schools.
- SLPS is committed to working to meet the needs of our families and we thank you in advance for your patience, cooperation and understanding.
- Phase II of laptop deployment will happen later in the week and will allow for even more families to check out a laptop.
Comcast has taken steps to implement the following new policies for the next 60 days:
- Xfinity WiFi Free For Everyone: Xfinity WiFi hotspots across the country will be available to anyone who needs them for free – including non-Xfinity Internet subscribers. For a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots, visit www.xfinity.com/wifi. Once at a hotspot, consumers should select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots and then launch a browser.
- Internet Essentials Free to New Customers: New customers will receive 60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service, which is normally available to all qualified low-income households for $9.95/month. Additionally, for all new and existing Internet Essentials customers, the speed of the program’s Internet service has been increased to 25 Mbps downstream and 3 Mbps upstream. That increase will go into effect for no additional fee and it will become the new base speed for the program going forward. Learn more at www.internetessentials.com