St. Lucie Public Schools is looking for residents to serve on the Referendum Citizens Advisory Committee. The Committee’s sole duty will be to provide oversight to ensure that the referendum funds are used for the purposes described in the referendum ballot language. On April 23, 2019, voters approved a 1 mil property tax to raise teacher pay and retain high quality teachers, improve school safety with school resource officers in every school, expand mental health services and preserve important school programs. School District staff shall provide the Committee with sufficient information, documents and administrative support for the Committee to fulfill its duties. The Committee shall provide the School Board with periodic reports as it deems necessary.
Interested citizens should submit a resume to Chris Harrison, Executive Assistant to the School Board, via email to email@example.com, or to the SLPS Board Members’ Office located at 12051 NW Copper Creek Drive, Port St. Lucie, FL 34987 on or before July 25, 2019. The minimum requirements to serve on this Advisory Committee include:
- A representative shall be a resident of St. Lucie County;
- Each School Board member shall appoint one representative whose term on the Committee shall coincide with the term of the School Board member who appoints them. The School Board member appointee shall serve at the pleasure of the School Board member and may be removed at any time by the School Board member who appointed them;
- The School Board, by majority vote, shall appoint one at-large representative whose term shall coincide with the term of the Referendum and who shall serve at the pleasure of the School Board and may be removed at any time by a majority vote of the School Board;
- The CTA/CU union (“Union”) shall appoint one representative whose term shall coincide with the term of the Referendum and who shall serve at the pleasure of the Union and who may be removed at any time by the Union;
- No Committee representative shall be an elected official, Union official, School District employee, or Union member; and
- Committee vacancies shall be filled as soon as practicable but in no event more than ninety (90) days from the date of the vacancy.
About St. Lucie Public Schools
St. Lucie Public Schools (SLPS) proudly serves students with a graduation rate of 91.8 percent. As a B rated District, there are no failing schools, and SLPS ranks among the top one-third of Florida’s Districts for student achievement. The District also has the distinction of being recognized as one of St. Lucie County’s Best Places to Work. The mission of SLPS is to ensure all students graduate from safe and caring schools equipped with the knowledge, skills and desire to succeed. Connect with us on Facebook,LinkedIn, and Twitter, or visit http://www.stlucieschools.org.