All personnel of the Safety/Security Department are committed to creating and maintaining a safe environment for staff, students, and visitors.
As law enforcement safety officers, our staff serves as the liaison between St. Lucie Public Schools and the St. Lucie Sheriff’s Office, the City of Fort Pierce Police Department and the City of Port St. Lucie Police Department. We work in conjunction with these agencies to provide safety and security to staff, students, and visitors, and to protect district-owned property.
The department is comprised of ten certified law enforcement officers, a camera technician, two mail couriers, and a secretary.
Visiting a School?
- Legally park your vehicle
- Always check in at the main office
- Have and present a valid source of identification
Safety/Security Department Duties and Responsibilities
- Respond to calls for service from schools, buses, bus stops, other district facilities.
- Coordinate law enforcement assignments and provide security at athletic events.
- Issue employee and contractor identification badges.
- Provide technical assistance and on-going staff training.
- Coordinate and assist with emergency drills at district schools and facilities.
- Coordination and emergency planning with local law enforcement, emergency management and public safety communications.
- Maintain the security camera systems at all schools and facilities.
- Monitor and utilize the security camera system to identify safety concerns, and to investigate security issues and criminal incidents.
- Provide equipment checks on emergency communications devices.
- Provide security at meetings and at special events.
- Close patrols and directed patrols of schools and district facilities.
- Assist law enforcement with criminal investigations and other issues involving the school district.
- Assist district departments and schools with safety and security issues/concerns.
- Assists Transportation Department in maintaining safe and secure transportation for all students riding buses.
- Develop and implement procedures to ensure a safe school environment.
- Evaluate existing procedures, and safety and security systems to determine their effectiveness and to implement improvements when necessary.
Submit a Tip to Crimestoppers Online
Chief, Safety / Security Dept.
Deputy Chief, Safety / Security