Sending your child to school every day should not be a worrisome experience. Every member of the St. Lucie Public Schools Safety and Security Department takes our responsibility of the care and keeping of our more than 42,000 students and more than 5000 teachers, staff, and volunteers very seriously. To do that, we need the help of every student, every parent, every teacher, staff, and administrator to be our eyes and ears on and around our campuses. The following are a few tips to assist us in fulfilling St. Lucie Public Schools mission … “to ensure all students graduate from safe and caring schools, equipped with the knowledge, skills, and desire to succeed.”
–Adapted from National Association of Elementary School Principals
We do understand that though it may seem inconvenient or even extreme in some cases, the procedures in place for visiting St. Lucie District Schools and Charter Schools are there to ensure the safety and security of the students, staff, and public who are on our campuses. Please follow all the security directions by personnel, administration, officers and signs while visiting.
To make your experience more effective and positive, we ask that you take into consideration the following tips:
Safety/Security Duties and Responsibilities
The Safety/Security Department’s certified law enforcement officers provide professional security services and serve as liaisons with the school resource deputies/officers assigned to district schools. Safety Officers are committed to enhancing our security measures in order to maintain a safe and secure learning environment.
- Respond to calls for service from schools, buses, bus stops, other district facilities.
- Coordinate law enforcement assignments and provide security at athletic events.
- Provide security at meetings and at special events.
- Develop and implement procedures to ensure a safe school environment.
- Evaluate existing procedures, and safety and security systems to determine their effectiveness and to implement improvements when necessary.
- Conduct regular and random close patrols and directed patrols of schools and district facilities.
- Coordinate and assist with emergency drills at district and charter school campuses and facilities.
- Coordination and emergency planning with local law enforcement, first responders, emergency management, and public safety communication centers.
- Assist law enforcement with criminal investigations and other issues involving the school district.
- Assist district departments and schools with safety and security issues/concerns.
- Assist the District Transportation Department in maintaining safe and secure transportation for all students riding buses.
- Provide technical assistance and on-going staff training and safety and security procedures and protocols.
- Collaborate with systems engineers and technicians to maintain the security camera systems at all schools and facilities.
- Utilize the security camera system to identify safety concerns, and to investigate security issues and criminal incidents.
- Provide equipment checks on emergency communications devices.
- Issue employee and contractor identification badges.
Troy Church, L.E. / MPA
Director, Safety & Security Dept.
Executive Assistant, Safety & Security Dept.
Certified Law Enforcement Security Officers
Robert Curry, L.E. / MCJA
Raymond Desmarais, L.E.
Ami Gibbons, L.E.
Stephen Griffith, L.E.
Taryn Pack, L.E.
Ken Rodriguez, L.E.
Frank Sabol, L.E.
Anatoli Schwartz, L.E.
Frank Sisto, L.E.