It is my pleasure to introduce you to the resources that are available within our county for students with disabilities. The Department of Exceptional Student Education is comprised of the most caring and dedicated people I have had the opportunity of working beside during my 28 years in education.
This department includes ESE Program Specialists, Behavioral Analysts, Occupational Therapists and Physical Therapists that support all our schools, including charter schools and private schools, in multiple capacities. These individuals provide professional development, attend meetings, mentor and model in classrooms the Best Practices in Education. We are also fortunate to have a group of hard-working, support personnel. Our nurses, interpreters, para professionals, behavioral technicians, and job coaches all work tirelessly to assist our students as needed so every child can have access to the curriculum and graduate with a quality education.
As a department, we work collaboratively with the Office of Teaching and Learning, Office of Talent and Development, Office of Assessment and Accountability, Student Services, Florida’s Diagnostic and Learning Resources System, as well as many community agencies to increase student achievement. Through these collaboration efforts, we are proactive with our strategies to enhance student learning and success.
Students are Our Priority
Change is Our Reality
Collaboration is Our Strategy
It is my pleasure to serve the students, families and employees of St. Lucie County Public Schools. I look forward to working collaboratively with each of you.
Dawna L. Guiel
Director of Exceptional Student Education
Scholarships for Students with Disabilities
- Parents as Partners
- No Parent Left Behind
- Florida Department of Education ESE
- Center for Development and Learning
- Family Network on Disabilities
- National Center for Learning Disabilities
- Center for Parent Information and Resources for Children with Disabilities
- NAMI-National Alliance on Mental Illness – Family Guide
- Exceptional Student Education Policies and Procedures (SP&P)
- ESE Tutorial Videos
- Compliance Self-Assessment
- Scripted Stories to Develop Social-Emotional Skills in Students
- Procedural Safeguards for Parents of Students with Disabilities – English
- Procedural Safeguards – Spanish
- Procedural Safeguards – Creole
- Procedural Safeguards – French
- Procedural Safeguards-Portuguese
- Procedural Safeguards for Exceptional Students Who Are Gifted
- Procedural Safeguards for Exceptional Students Who Are Gifted-Spanish