The field of Early Childhood Education includes teachers, teacher assistants, administrators, and others who assist young children in education and development. Specific responsibilities vary based on the job and the age of the children. Hands-on learning allows students to explore this career field and work with young children in educational facilities.
Early Childhood Education
Program Offered At
Potential Industry Certifications / Credentials
- Early Childhood Professional Certificate (ECPC)
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and First Aid
- Child Development Associate (CDA)
Areas of Study
- The program is comprised of 120 hours of classroom instruction and 480 hours of direct work with children.
- Students gain experience in a real-world setting at St. Lucie West Centennial’s "Eagles Nest" on-site fully functioning and accredited pre-school facility.
- Students work in on-site or local education facilities where they teach young children important skills for proper development and the foundations for classroom learning.
- Students learn skills needed to develop lessons and plan appropriate activities for young students, incorporating technology into their lessons.
- Safe and clean learning environments, nutrition, language and communication, developmentally appropriate practices, theories of child development, guidance and classroom management
- Upon completion of this program and meeting all requirements, students are awarded the Early Childhood Professional Certificate (ECPC). This credential is issued through the Florida Dept. of Children and Families / DCF and is required for employment in the field.
Career and Technical Student Organization (CTSO)
Labor Market Information
This program supports students' college and career readiness. Students are college and career ready when they have the knowledge, skills, and academic preparation needed to enroll and succeed in college credit-bearing courses within an associate or bachelor degree program without the need for remediation. Students need these same attributes and levels of achievement to enter and succeed in post-secondary workforce education or to enter a career path offering a living wage and future advancement.
- Advanced Manufacturing Technology
- Aerospace Technologies
- Allied Health - FPC
- Allied Health - FPWA
- Allied Health - PSLH
- Allied Health - SLWC
- Allied Health - TCHS
- Animal Science and Services
- Applied Cybersecurity
- Applied Robotics
- Building Construction Technology
- Commercial Art
- Criminal Justice
- Culinary Arts
- Digital Design
- Digital Media / Multimedia Design
- Digital Video Technology
- Early Childhood Education
- Engineering Technology
- Fashion Marketing
- Game Simulation / Animation / Programming
- Game Simulation / Animation / Visual Design
- Global Logistics and Supply Chain Technology
- Health Unit Coordinator
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Industrial Biotechnology
- International Business
- Maintenance and Light Repair
- Marketing Management and Entrepreneurial Principles
- Microsoft Academy
- Outboard Marine Service Technology
- Pharmacy Technician
- Project Lead the Way / Biomedical Sciences
- Project Lead the Way / Computer Science and Robotics
- Project Lead-the-Way / Engineering
- Technical Agriculture Operations
- Technical Design
- TV Production
- Veterinary Assisting
- Web Development